Funding Development Officer [M/F] – 1 vacancy Post (Ref.: CCMAR/FDO/05/2017)
The Algarve Centre for Marine Science (CCMAR) has a vacancy for a Funding Development Officer (M/F) to satisfy temporary needs under an uncertain term employment contract, in order to seek public and private funds for research and infrastructure programmes under the Portuguese node of the European Marine Biological Resource Centre (EMBRC). The EMBRC is a distributed research infrastructure that aims to provide a strategic delivery mechanism for excellent and large-scale marine science in Europe. With its services, EMBRC will support both fundamental and applied research based on marine bioresources and marine ecosystems.
The Funding Development Officer will work in an international environment and will seek to attract national and international funding to develop the infrastructure, human resources and research activities at CCMAR in coordination with the EMBRC.PT infrastructure manager and reporting to the Directors of EMBRC Portugal and of CCMAR.
- Coordinating the Business and Communication Unit with the responsibility of attracting national and international funding to develop the infrastructure, human resources and research activities of CCMAR and EMBRC Portugal according to the strategy established by the Board of directors.
- Researching and identifying suitable sources of income to support CCMAR/EMBRC.PT activities, including national and international foundations (e.g., FCT, EDP), ministries, companies, governmental agencies, bi- and multilateral organizations (e.g., UNESCO, European Commission, FAO) and others.
- Spotting opportunities for funding.
- Researching the background of each potential income source to determine their grant-making criteria, interests, funding timetables and other requirements.
- Identifying projects within CCMAR which would be attractive to different funding sources.
- Gathering information for both the narrative and financial elements of applications/bids.
- Maintaining a thorough understanding of CCMAR/EMBRC’s activities in order to identify funding prospects and to communicate about them effectively.
- Liaising with colleagues internally, and if necessary any external stakeholders, about potential funding opportunities.
- Ensuring a close fit between funding sought and CCMAR/EMBRC’s strategy and other organisational priorities.
- Working with colleagues internally to tailor projects to match funding criteria and actively build and help build successful consortia in national, European and international funding programmes.
- Writing and submitting well-structured, logical, convincing and timely proposals for funding in collaboration with relevant partners.
- Writing the EMBRC annual reports and auditing requests.
- A doctoral degree in a relevant science discipline with at least 5 years postdoctoral experience, demonstrated capacity for fund raising and successful funding applications for research and infrastructure.
- Strong leadership and people management skills and experience.
- Demonstrated success at writing projects (especially) to European Commission programmes for funding.
- Ability to work within international, interdisciplinary and multicultural environment.
- A full command of excellent written and spoken English.
- Ability to work in teams, in a fast pace environment, where information needs to be communicated, requested and shared among several key personnel.
- Start-up mentality, with the ability to work occasionally in short-term projects, with different people, with different roles, with a broad range of functions.
- Excellent communication, networking and partnership building skills.
- Ability to develop strong and lasting relationships with industrial and commercial partners.
- Ability to work under pressure meeting tight deadlines.
Salary: Monthly gross salary of approximately 2700 €.
Expected start date: May 2017
Working contract conditions: uncertain term employment contract starting on May 2017.
Working Schedule: 35 hours weekly, and the possibility to work at weekends as needed.
Working Place: Gambelas Campus of the University of Algarve. Occasional trips in Europe might be required.
Application Period: between 04 and 18 of April 2017.
Selection Committee: Adelino V. M. Canário, President of the Directive Board (President), Ester Serrão (member) and Deborah Power (member).
Application documents: Applicants should send their application by email to email@example.com, indicating the reference in the subject (Refª CCMAR/FDO/05/2017). The application should include: detailed curriculum vitae, copy of PhD certificate, a motivation letter in English that should address the Responsibilities/Experience/Skills requirements and e-mail contacts of up to 3 professional referees. Applications are considered as correctly submitted only after receiving an email confirmation from CCMAR.
Selection: The candidates will be ranked based on the documents provided. Eventually a reduced number of the top ranked candidates may be interviewed.
The selection committee will exercise the right to contact and interview candidates should it require further information or clarification about their application. In the event that no applicant has the necessary profile, or the funding conditions have significantly changed since the announcement of the position, the selection committee reserves the right to close the call without any recruitment. In the event that the contract holder should resign during the contract, the jury reserves the right, upon convenience and opportunity, to assign the post to the next applicant in accordance with the ranking positions.
Communication of results: The decision of the selection committee will be communicated in writing.
CCMAR’s non-discrimination and equal access opportunities policy – No candidate can be privileged, benefited, jeopardised or be deprived of any right or exempt of any claim in regards to descendent, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, economic situation, origin, social economy, genetic heritage, disability, chronic disease, nationality, ethnicity, territory of origin, language, religion, politics, ideology or union membership.