Communication and Outreach Officer [M/F] – 1 vacancy Post (Ref.: CCMAR/COO/08/2017)
The Algarve Centre for Marine Science (CCMAR) has vacancy for a Communication and Outreach Officer (M/F) to satisfy temporary needs under an uncertain term employment contract to implement the communication and outreach strategies of the Portuguese node of the European Marine Biological Resource Centre (EMBRC). The EMBRC is a distributed research infrastructure that aims to provide a strategic delivery mechanism for excellent and large-scale marine science in Europe. With its services, EMBRC will support both fundamental and applied research based on marine bioresources and marine ecosystems.
The Communication and Outreach Officer will report to the CCMAR directors, the infrastructure manager and the senior communication officer. It will be a member of the Business and Communication Unit and will be responsible for creating and maintaining a favourable public image of CCMAR and EMBRC, participating in the definition and implementation of the communication, promotion and outreach strategy and policies. The job holder will be responsible for the CCMAR and EMBRC Portugal internet presence, social media, events and communication, promotion and marketing material.
- Working efficiently and as a team member in the Business and Communication Unit to promote outreach, communicate and disseminate results of CCMAR and EMBRC Portugal.
- Contributing to the development and implementation of CCMAR/EMBRC’s communication and outreach strategy and policies.
- Drafting and executing a marketing and communication plan, including its intended audience, resources, impact and results.
- Developing, managing and producing the contents and updates of CCMAR/EMBRC in pertinent websites and social media channels.
- Producing the content of CCMAR/EMBRC communication and dissemination publications and materials including newsletters, booklets, promotional brochures, flyers and posters.
- Liaising with the media (newspapers, television), writing press releases and circulate them through the appropriate channels, including local, national and international mass media.
- Producing photographs, short videos and podcasts, showcasing CCMAR/EMBRC's projects and activities, science and scientists and use the mass media and social media channels to publicize them.
- Organizing events directed at stakeholders and the wider public to highlight the scientific work done at CCMAR/EMBRC.
- Engaging CCMAR members in outreach efforts to elucidate the wider community of the role of science and CCMAR/EMBRC in society.
An advanced university degree (bachelor or equivalent) in science and/or communication. A demonstrated record in the communication of scientific research is advantageous.
Previous professional experience of at least three years editing and synthetizing communication documents in English for various target groups.
Previous professional experience in organizing events, and involvement in outreach activities and related communications services.
Practical experience with graphical design is desirable.
Demonstrated knowledge and experience with social media.
Ability to work within international, interdisciplinary and multicultural environment.
A full command of excellent written and spoken English.
Ability to work in teams, in a fast pace environment, where information needs to be communicated, requested and shared among several key personnel.
Excellent communication and networking skills.
Ability to work under pressure meeting tight deadlines.
Salary: Monthly gross salary of approximately 1400€.
Expected start date: May 2017
Working contract conditions: uncertain term employment contract starting May 2017.
Working Schedule: 35 hours weekly, and the possibility to work at weekends as needed.
Working Place: Gambelas Campus of the University of Algarve.
Application Period: between 11 and 26 April 2017.
Selection Committee: Adelino V. M. Canário, President of the Directive Board (President), Tiago Magalhães (member) and Andreia Pinto (member).
Application documents: Applicants should send their application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating the reference in the subject (Refª CCMAR/COO/08/2017). The application should include detailed curriculum vitae, a copy of university degree certificate, a motivation letter in English that should address the Responsibilities/Experience/Skills requirements, up to 3 examples of previous work, and e-mail contacts of up to 3 professional referees. Applications are considered as correctly submitted only after receiving an email confirmation from CCMAR.
Selection: The candidates will be ranked based on the documents provided. Eventually a reduced number of the top ranked candidates may be interviewed.
The selection committee will exercise the right to contact and interview candidates should it require further information or clarification about their application. In the event that no applicant has the necessary profile, or the funding conditions have significantly changed since the announcement of the position, the selection committee reserves the right to close the call without any recruitment. In the event that the contract holder should resign during the contract, the jury reserves the right, upon convenience and opportunity, to assign the post to the next applicant in accordance with the ranking positions.
Communication of results: The decision of the selection committee will be communicated in writing.
CCMAR’s non-discrimination and equal access opportunities policy – No candidate can be privileged, benefited, jeopardised or be deprived of any right or exempt of any claim in regards to descendent, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, economic situation, origin, social economy, genetic heritage, disability, chronic disease, nationality, ethnicity, territory of origin, language, religion, politics, ideology or union membership.