Marine Protected Areas in the Azores
The process of implementing Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) in the Azores began in 1980, with Baía das Caldeirinhas, on Faial Island, being the first MPA to be established. Currently, in the Azores, there are more than 110,000 square kilometres of MPAs with some level of protection. These areas contribute to the protection and management of habitats and species found in the seas of the Azores.
The network of Protected Areas in the Azores are divided into three: the Island Natural Park (PNI), the Marine Parks of the Azores (PMA) and Local Protected Areas. In the Island Natural Parks - which include the classified areas of the Rede Natura 2000 and some areas classified under international conventions - there are 123 protected areas, of which 48 are Protected Areas for the Management of Habitats or Species.
At CCMAR, we provide advice to policymakers in the development of regional legislation processes in these areas. Our researchers are members of scientific teams and working groups such as the Blue Azores program and the GAMPA team (Marine Protected Areas Group of the Azores) of DOP/Okeanos, where we collaborate in the evaluation and monitoring of the biodiversity of the archipelago's waters.
CCMAR have several national and international collaborations in the promotion and implementation of Marine Protected Areas in the autonomous region of the Azores, with DOP/Okeanos, Oceano Azul Foundation, Waitt Foundation and National Geographic.
Reports and Scientific Papers:
- Contrasting movements and residency of two serranids in a smallMacaronesian MPA
- Blue Azores: O segredo mais bem guardado do Atlântico
- Environmental representativity in marine protected area networks over large and partly unexplored seascapes
- Público: A expedição Blue Azores vai andar por mares pouco explorados
- CCMAR researcher at the Blue Azores Expedition
- RTP: Expedição Oceano Azul - Um Novo Caminho Para o Futuro
- Diário de Notícias: "Blue Azores" vai aumentar área marinha protegida nos Açores
- Público: Açores, um segredo (ainda) bem guardado no Atlântico
- Documentário "Exploring and working to protect the Azores’ underwater ecosystem"