Research Fellowship (MSc.) Advertisement – 1 vacancy (CCMAR/BI/0004/2019)
Research Fellowship (MSc.) Advertisement – 1 vacancy
Within the project BIOFISH -QoL
Ref. ª: CCMAR/BI/0004/2019
The Centre for Marine Sciences (CCMAR) in the Algarve, Portugal, opens a position for a MSc. Research fellowship (BI – Mestre) in the project BIOFISH_QoL – “Integrative approach for enhance quality of live in fishing communities of the 'Bons Sinais' estuary (Mozambique) ”, with the reference 330785505, supported by Aga Khan, Network for Development and the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P under the following conditions:
Tasks to perform:
⦁ Contribute to the project development.
⦁ Help to characterize estuarine zones based on BS estuary physical-chemical gradients and take benthic samples for the characterization of environmental ecological status.
⦁ Contribute to compile a list of fish and invertebrates fauna and select key species (based on interviews with fishermen’s, scientific experts and literature review) for biological and ecological studies.
⦁ Study key-species population dynamic (demographic aspects and larvae recruitment).
⦁ Characterize the fishing fleet and the gears used in BS estuary and determine fishing yields of key-species.
⦁ Participate in the development of reports and scientific papers.
⦁ Contribute to capacity building of Mozambique partners/researcher (Help to develop short-term courses within the topic of the project).
Dr. Francisco Miguel de Sousa Leitão, researcher at CCMAR.
The workplace is CCMAR (Gambelas Campus of the Algarve University, Faro, Portugal) and Mozambique – Quelimane.
1. Driving License.
2. To hold a MSc. in Biology and /or Marine ecology, fisheries or related biological sciences field.
3. Availability to work outside the normal working hours, on weekends, holidays in accordance with the project needs, namely in field biological surveys – handling, conservation and identification of marine fauna within the specific project objectives.
4. Ability to work in team, stimulating a good working environment and ability to develop project tasks as requested by the researcher responsible by the project (supervisor).
5. Availability to develop his/her academic career and endorse in a potential PhD (demonstrated in writing in the motivation letter).
6. High proficiency in Portuguese (written and spoken) and good fluency in English (spoken and written).
7. Availability to remain during considerable periods in Mozambique (demonstrated in writing in the motivation letter).
Non-compliance with any of these requirements invalidates the application. Provision of false documentation will be punished by law.
1. Scuba diving course would be preferable but not mandatory.
The evaluation will result in a final classification between 0 and 100 points.
1. MSc. final score - 30%
2. Scientific and Technologic production (Masterwork will be considered; technical reports; papers; congresses; posters). 10%
3. Knowledge and experience demonstrated in the field of artisanal fisheries, ecology and marine biology of estuarine and marine communities, socioeconomic and knowledge related with fisheries socioeconomic. 15%
4. Informatics knowledge from user point of view. (5%)
5. Practical experience in fisheries biology and in marine fauna sampling (laboratory or field biological sampling; scientific cruise; diving experience) evidenced in the curriculum. (30%)
6. Statistics knowledge (univariate and multivariate analysis) in biology and ecology field (e.g. academic scores of specific disciplines; advanced courses). 10%
The selection jury might interview applicants should they require further information or clarification about their application.
In the event that no applicant has the necessary profile (a final score equal or inferior to 70 points (out of 100) the jury reserves the right to close the call without any recruitment. During the fellowship, and in the event that the fellowship holder should resign, the jury reserves the right, upon convenience and opportunity, to assign the fellowship to the next applicant in accordance with the ranking position of the selection jury.
Grant conditions: The grant will have an initial duration of 06 months, starting in September 2019 and might be renewed for additional periods up to the end of the project. The fellowship must be undertaken exclusively (full time) according to the Portuguese law 40/2004, of 18 of August (Scientific Research Fellowship holder statutes), Fellowship Regulation of the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology in force http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT.pdf and the rules of CCMAR research grants https://goo.gl/gFOUUz.
Monthly maintenance allowance: A maintenance allowance of 989,70€/net (tax free) will be paid each month through inter-bank transfer in accordance with the grant amounts set by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology https://goo.gl/XNZlTC .
Application period: from 24 of June to 22 of July 2019.
Application submission process: Only applications submitted through the CCMAR website will be considered: https://www.ccmar.ualg.pt/list/job. Applications are considered to be correctly submitted only after the candidate has received a confirmation e-mail from CCMAR. Applications (in English or Portuguese) should include a Motivation Letter (that details the candidates experience in each requirement and evaluation criterion), a detailed Curriculum Vitae, copy of the candidates MSc. and BSc. certificates and the email contacts of up to 3 referees.
Results and Preliminary Hearing: The judgement of the selection committee will be communicated in writing (by email) within 45 working days after the application deadline. After notification, candidates have 10 working days to contest the preliminary decision sending an email to the selection committee.
Candidates holding degrees awarded by a foreign university should have their degree recognized in Portugal no later than 10 days after receiving the communication of selection for a position. Non-compliance justifies exclusion from the procedure. Information about the recognition procedures can be obtained at any Portuguese university or here. The board of directors reserves the right, upon request from the candidate, to extend the compliance period provided it does not impact negatively in the program
Selection Committee: Dr. Francisco Miguel de Sousa Leitão, researcher at CCMAR (President), Professor Maria Alexandra Anica Teodósio, Vice - Rector at Algarve University and researcher at CCMAR (Member); and Professor Paulo José Relvas de Almeida, Professor at Algarve University and researcher at CCMAR (Member).
Disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal classification, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication / expression means to be used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
CCMAR’s non-discrimination and equal access opportunities policy – No candidate can be privileged, benefited, jeopardised or be deprived of any right or exempt of any claim in regards to descendent, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, economic situation, origin, social economy, genetic heritage, disability, chronic disease, nationality, ethnicity, territory of origin, language, religion, politics, ideology or union membership.
Faro, June 04th , 2019