Doctoral Researcher - Call for hiring [M/F] – 1 vacancy - Ref.: CCMAR/ID/03/2018
The Algarve Centre for Marine Sciences (CCMAR) opens a call for a Doctoral Researcher (M/F), correspondent to the initial level under, an uncertain term employment contract, under Sistema de Apoio à Investigação Científica e Tecnológica (SAICT) – Call nr 02/SAICT/2017 - Projeto de Investigação Científica e Desenvolvimento Tecnológico (IC&DT), funded by Investment and Structural European Funds (FEEI) - Programa Operacional Regional do Algarve and National Funds (FCT-MEC) under the research project “PROLAR: Programação metabólica precoce em peixes mediante modulação nutricional, ref. ALG-01-0145-FEDER-029151”.
- Performing scientific research activities in the area of nutrition, with a main focus on marine fish larval nutrition.
- Secure external funding.
- To have an active role in the dynamization of international collaborations in the specific scientific area.
- Training of researchers at master, doctoral and post-doctoral levels.
- Participation in the management of the research project.
- Participation in the life of the institute, namely in the activities of science outreach.
- Decree-Law nr 57/2016, from 29th August, altered by Law nr 57/2017, from 19th July, that approves a Doctoral Hiring regime to stimulate Scientific and Technological Employment in all knowledge areas (RJEC).
- Portuguese Labor Law, approved by Law nr 7/2009, from 12th February in its current writing.
- Regulatory Decree Nr 11-A / 2017, of 29th December.
Starting Date: The contract is expected to start in July 2018 and will remain only for the necessary execution period of the working plan, which is estimated to have a predicted duration of thirty (30) months.
Workplace: the activities will be developed at CCMAR installations (Gambelas Campus of the Algarve University, Portugal) and/or other necessary locations to their execution.
Working Schedule: 35 hours per week.
Monthly Remuneration: Gross monthly Remuneration is 2.128,34€, in accordance with subsection a), section 1, article 15 from Law nr 57/2017, 19th July, and with the remuneration position at initial level predicted in article 2 of Regulatory Decree nr 11-A/2017, of 29th December, correspondent to level 33 at Tabela Remuneratória Única, approved by Order nr 1553-C/2008, 31st December.
Application Period: between 14 of May and 4 of June 2018.
Madatory Required Profile: Any National, foreign and stateless candidate(s) that hold the following requirements can apply:
- PhD in Sciences or closely related area.
- Holders of a scientific and professional curriculum showing a relevant profile for the activity to be developed.
- PhD Thesis in the field of Marine Fish Larval Nutrition.
- National or European certificate for Animal Experimentation for Scientific Purposes (Category Researcher – Coordinator or Category C).
- The candidate should have at least 1 year of experience, after the PhD, in marine fish larval digestive physiology.
- Experience in the following techniques: marine fish larval rearing, Sole rearing experience; experience in fish larval digestive physiology; fish larval tube-feeding, metabolism assays in sealed chambers using radioactive tracers.
- Participation in research projects with external financial.
- Good knowledge of English.
The non-compliance with these requirements determines the immediate rejection of application. False statements provided by the candidates shall be punished by law.
Members of the Jury: the jury is composed by Dr. Sofia Engrola (President of the Jury and Responsible for the Project), Dr. Cláudia Aragão (member) and Professor Dr. Pedro Rodrigues (member).
Evaluation criteria: The admitted applications will be evaluated taking into account the merit, timeliness, quality and relevance of the scientific path (scientific production and research experience) and curriculum and their adequacy to the proposed work plan.
Applications will be scored on 0 to 100 scale. The following assessment criteria will be followed:
- Based on the Documental analysis it will be assessed:
- Evaluation of Motivation Letter and candidate selected publications, as specified below) - 30%.
- Evaluation of the CV, with special emphasis on the areas related to the work plan (20%);
- research experience and relevant knowledge in the techniques indicated in the candidate profile (points 3,5 and 6 of the profile) (40%).
- Interview (applicants that score above 80%) - 10%.
Important note: If there is only one candidate, the interview is optional and the Documental evaluation will have a weighting of 100%. In this case, point 1.a will have a weight of 40%.
After evaluation of all admitted applications, the jury will write a meeting minute with the description of the evaluation and selection process including an ordered short list of approved candidates and their respective classification and final decision of the jury. The CCMAR Board of Directors shall validate the final decision of the jury.
The selection committee will exercise the right to contact and interview candidates should it require further information or clarification about their application. In the event that no applicant has the necessary profile, or the funding conditions have significantly changed since the announcement of this position, the selection committee reserves the right to close the call without any recruitment. In the event that the contract holder should resign during the contract, the jury reserves the right, upon convenience and opportunity, to assign the post to the next applicant in accordance with the ranking positions.
Application submission process and documents: Applications should be submitted directly to the CCMAR website (only applications submitted directly at the CCMAR website will be considered). You should consider your application as correctly submitted only after receiving an email confirmation from CCMAR. Application should include a Motivation Letter (with a personal assessment on the adequacy of the activities of the last five years for the present competition; highlighting the top 3 scientific publications), copy of your PhD Diploma, Detailed CV (in accordance with the requirements of the application), Copy of National or European certificate for Animal Experimentation for Scientific Purposes (Category Researcher – Coordinator or Category C), One digital copy (pdf. format) of 3 publications deemed more relevant by the candidate and any other relevant documents demonstrating the candidate’s adequacy for the requested profile.
Results: Both admitted and excluded candidates list and final classification list shall be posted at CCMAR (Universidade do Algarve, edf. 7), at CCMAR website at and all candidates will be notified by email.
Preliminary Hearing and Final Decision Deadline: All candidates will be notified by email of the results. After notified, all candidates have 10 working days to respond. The commission final decisions are pronounced within a maximum period of 90 days, from application deadline.
Pursuant to Decree-Law nr 29/2001 of 3rd February, disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal classification, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication / expression means to be used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
CCMAR’s non-discrimination and equal access opportunities policy – No candidate can be privileged, benefited, jeopardised or be deprived of any right or exempt of any claim in regards to descendent, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, economic situation, origin, social economy, genetic heritage, disability, chronic disease, nationality, ethnicity, territory of origin, language, religion, politics, ideology or union membership.
Faro, 4 th May 2018