CCMAR/TSI/02/2022 | Research Technical Officer [M/F] - 1 vacancy
Research Technical Officer [M/F] - 1 vacancy
Post Ref.: CCMAR/TSI/02/2022
The Algarve Centre for Marine Science (CCMAR) opens a vacancy for a Research Technical Officer (Técnico/a Superior de Investigação) (M/F), in the field of Paleoceanography/ Paleoclimate to satisfy temporary needs under an uncertain term employment contract in order to support the work carried in the context of the research project with reference: : PTDC/CTA-CLI/2884/2021 - ICW3P “Impact of climate warming in the coastal upwelling system and primary production off Portugal: a study linking classical and emergent proxies” funded by Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, I.P./MCTES under the following conditions:
Tasks to be performed:
Technical support of the IPMA Biogeochemistry Laboratory, whose main management activities include the organization of the laboratory, management of material resources, routine maintenance of equipment, support in the training of new team members, and help to improve the safety and quality protocols.
The professional will also support the activities of other IPMA’s EMSO GOLD laboratories.
The work plan includes the following tasks:
- Process sediment samples for analysis of lipid biomarkers determined via GC-FID and GC-MS, identify and quantify the compounds, spreadsheet the results, and apply data quality controls;
- Prepare sediment samples for the determination of C and N via LECO, perform the analyses, spreadsheet the results, and apply the data quality controls;
- Prepare sediment samples for determination of stable isotopes of organic matter;
- Prepare sediment samples for grain size analysis;
- Support the preparation of samples for the identification of microfossils;
- Support the organization of the material for oceanographic cruises and possibly integrate sampling teams to retrieve water and sediment samples;
- Participate in the scientific outreaches of the project.
Salary: Monthly gross salary of 1163.82 €
The candidate must have a Bachelor's degree in Earth or Environmental Sciences, such as Geology, Geochemistry, Biology, Marine Sciences, Oceanography, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Biotechnology or related area.
Non-compliance with this requirement invalidates the application. Provision of false documentation will be punished by law.
It is considered as an advantage:
- Experience in lipid biomarkers analysis by gas chromatography.
- Previous work experience in other sediment analysis such as elemental analysis, grain size analysis, sample preparation for microfossil identification.
- Experience with Excel (independent user level).
- Experience in marine sampling campaigns and oceanographic cruises.
In the event of a tie between candidates during the selection process, this argument may be used to select the candidates.
Working contract conditions: uncertain term employment contract expected to start from May 2022.
Working Schedule: 35 hours weekly.
Working Place: IPMA – Algés, Divisão de Geologia e Georrecursos Marinhos - Av. Doutor Alfredo Magalhães Ramalho Nº 6, Algés, 1495-165 Lisboa, Portugal.
Application submission process and documents: Only applications submitted through the CCMAR website will be considered: https://www.ccmar.ualg.pt/list/job. Applications are considered to be correctly submitted only after the candidate has received a confirmation e-mail from CCMAR. Applications (in English or Portuguese) must include:
- Motivation Letter (in English or Portuguese).
- Detailed CV (in English or Portuguese) in accordance with the requirements, desirable experience and selection criteria.
- Copy of the BSc. Degree Certificate.
- Email contacts of up to 3 referees.
Non-compliance with these documents/information determines the immediate rejection of the application.
Application Period: between the 11th of March 2022 and 31th of March 2022 at 23:59 (Lisbon time, Portugal).
Selection Committee: Dr. Fátima Abrantes, Principal Researcher with habilitation at IPMA and CCMAR and coordinator of the project at CCMAR (president); Dr. Lívia Gebara, assistant researcher at IPMA and CCMAR (member) and Dr. Emilia Salgueiro assistant researcher at IPMA and CCMAR.
Through the analysis of the application documents the evaluation criteria for the applications and their relative weight for ranking are as follows:
- Experience in lipid biomarkers analysis by gas chromatography (40%);
- Previous work experience in other sediment analysis such as elemental analysis, grain size analysis, sample preparation for microfossil identification (30%);
- Experience with Excel (independent user level) (20%);
- Experience in marine sampling campaigns and oceanographic cruises (10%).
The selection committee reserves the right to contact and interview candidates if additional information or clarification of any curricular aspect is necessary. In case it takes place, the interview aims to evaluate in more detail the curricular items used to grade the candidate according to the list above.
In the eventuality that no applicant has the necessary profile, the selection committee reserves the right to close the call without any recruitment. In the event that the selected person does not take up the position because of failure to comply with documentary requirements or any other reason, or later during the contract if they resign, the jury reserves the right, upon convenience and opportunity, to assign the position to the next applicant in accordance with the ranking positions based on the selectable list that can be used up to 6 months of the date of the present announcement.
The board of Directors reserves the right, due to a change in circumstances at the date of the present announcement, to cancel the present call without any recruitment.
Results: The lists of admitted and excluded candidates, and the final classification list, shall be posted on the CCMAR website at https://www.ccmar.ualg.pt/list/job-closed and all candidates will be notified by email.
Preliminary Hearing and Final Decision Deadline: After notification, candidates have 10 working days to contest the preliminary decision sending an email to the selection committee. The final decisions will be announced within 90 days of the application deadline.
Candidates holding degrees awarded by a foreign university should have their degree recognized in Portugal no later than the date indicated in the communication of selection for the position. Non-compliance justifies exclusion from the procedure. Information about the recognition procedures can be obtained at any Portuguese university or here. The board of directors reserves the right, upon request from the candidate, to extend the compliance period provided it does not impact negatively the programmed activities.
Disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal classification, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication / expression means to be used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
CCMAR’s non-discrimination and equal access opportunities policy – No candidate can be privileged, benefited, jeopardised or be deprived of any right or exempt of any claim in regards to descendent, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, economic situation, origin, social economy, genetic heritage, disability, chronic disease, nationality, ethnicity, territory of origin, language, religion, politics, ideology or union membership.
March the 04th 2022