CCMAR/MSR/19/2021 - Microscopy Service Scientist (M/F)
Microscopy Service Scientist (M/F) - 1 VACANCY
updated in accordance with the selection committee decision taken on 21/04/2024
The Algarve Centre for Marine Sciences (CCMAR) opens a call for a Microscopy Service Scientist - Investigador/a Auxiliar do Serviço de Microscopia (M/F) under an uncertain term working contract for applicants of any nationality, including stateless candidates for temporary needs and connected activities under project ALG-05-3559-FSE-000020 - Contratação de Recursos Humanos Altamente Qualificados (PME ou CoLAB) funded by European Social Fund (FSE) of the European Union, through CRESC ALGARVE 2020 do Portugal 2020.
Job Summary and Duties:
The microscopy service researcher will:
- Develop the microscopy platform service and engage and support processes for CCMAR's integration in National and European research infrastructures.
- Manage instrumentation, including usage and maintenance.
- Provide technical, scientific and training support to users of the microscopy platform.
- Support users with sample preparation, microscope selection and use, image processing, visualization and analysis.
- Implement techniques and methodologies suited to the needs of users.
- Integrate and cooperate with CCMAR’s technological and scientific platforms for seamless interoperation.
- Contribute to the organization and give coherence to CCMAR's service portfolio, consolidating its offer, both to the academic and business sectors.
- Support CCMAR teams the use of the microscopy in their research and in funding applications.
- Provide advice and supervision to students (MSc, PhD).
- Obtain external funding for and collaborate in collective initiatives of CCMAR.
- Further the development of the CCMAR strategy.
Start date and duration: The contract is expected to start from June 2022 for a period no longer than the necessary for the execution of the work plan.
Workplace: The workplace is CCMAR (Gambelas Campus of the University of Algarve, Faro, Portugal)
Work schedule: 35 hours per week.
Salary: Monthly gross salary 3230.21 euros
Application Period: Between 21st April 2022 and 16 th May at 23:59 (Lisbon time, Portugal).
- The successful candidate will have completed a PhD Biological Sciences, engineering, physics, or related subjects or similar, with at least 5 years’ experience in basic and advanced light microscopy, preferably in similar functions, and be well-qualified, dynamic, and highly motivated to develop their career in a stimulating international and interdisciplinary environment.
- The candidate should have an excellent curriculum and research capacity demonstrated through publication, project leadership, services provision, invitations to speak at conferences, prizes, as well as the proven capacity to obtain funding in competitive calls. Hands-on experience in confocal and lightsheet microscopy, image processing and analysis software is a plus.
- A high proficiency in English (spoken and written).
Selection panel: Professor Adelino Canário, CCMAR’s President (President), Professor Deborah Power, group leader (member), Doctor Teresa Correia, Researcher and Marie Curie Fellow (member), Doctor Davide Accardi, Group head at the Champalimaud Foundation (member).
Application submission process and documents: Only complete applications submitted through the CCMAR website will be considered: https://www.ccmar.ualg.pt/list/job. Applications are considered to be correctly submitted only after the candidate has received a confirmation e-mail from CCMAR. Applications (in English or Portuguese) must include:
- a Motivation Letter.
- Detailed CV (organized in accordance with the requirements, desirable experience and selection criteria).
- a copy of the PhD Certificate.
- Email contacts of up to 3 referees.
- Other documents deemed as relevant for the application.
Applications are correctly submitted only after the candidate has received a confirmation e-mail.
Selection Criteria: The selection will be based on the documents provided, but the selection committee reserves the right to contact and interview candidates if additional information or clarification of any curricular aspect is necessary.
The assessment will be in accordance with the following weighting factors:
- Research and/or development activities, comprising achievements in microscopy / imaging, coordination and participation in research projects (national/or international), funding obtained, publication and communication of research results, technological development, international collaboration (60%).
- Higher education teaching and supervision, from bachelors to doctoral students (15%).
- Knowledge and technology transfer, including services, contract research, patenting and other forms of interaction with companies and public services (20%).
- Scientific communication and dissemination (5%)
If no applicant has the necessary profile, the selection committee reserves the right to close the call without any recruitment. In the event that the selected person does not take up the position because of failure to comply with documentary requirements or any other reason, or later during the contract if they resign, the jury reserves the right, upon convenience and opportunity, to assign the post to the next applicant in accordance with the ranking positions.
Results: The lists of admitted and excluded candidates, and the final classification list, shall be posted on the CCMAR website at https://www.ccmar.ualg.pt/list/job-closed and all candidates will be notified by email.
Preliminary Hearing and Final Decision Deadline: After notification, candidates have 10 working days to contest the preliminary decision. The final decisions will be announced within 90 days of the application deadline.
Candidates holding degrees awarded by a foreign university should have their degree recognized by a Portuguese higher education institution by the time of contract signing.
Disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal classification, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication / expression means to be used during the selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
CCMAR’s non-discrimination and equal access opportunities policy – No candidate can be privileged, benefited, jeopardised or be deprived of any right or exempt of any claim in regard to descendent, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, economic situation, origin, social economy, genetic heritage, disability, chronic disease, nationality, ethnicity, territory of origin, language, religion, politics, ideology or union membership.
The members of the jury approved this announcement on 21 April 2022