Post-Doctoral Fellowship – 1 vacancy
Within the project - CAVIARPLUS
Ref. ª: CCMAR/BPD/01/2023
The Centro de Ciências do Mar do Algarve (CCMAR) opens one (01) vacancy for a postdoctoral fellowship (BPD) in the scientific area of Biological Sciences, Biochemistry or related area, eligible to candidates of any nationality, including stateless persons and beneficiaries of the political refugee status, within the scope of the research project with the reference 2022.08828.PTDC, entitled “Regulation of fertility by somatostatin and potential application to the production of sturgeon roe” funded by the Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, I.P./MCTES through national funds (PIDDAC) under the following conditions:
Host and Contracting Institution: CCMAR
Work Plan, Tasks and Objectives:
The project aims to clarify the anti-proliferative mechanism of somatostatin in germ cells and pancreatic cells in zebrafish and sturgeon. The fellowship holder must have advanced knowledge in two or more of the following methodologies: molecular biology, knock-out and knock-down, transcriptomics and bioinformatics, microscopy and cell culture.
Tasks to be performed include:
1- Determination of the anti-proliferative mechanism of somatostatin in the germinal cells of zebrafish
2- Determination of the regulatory mechanism of pancreatic development by somatostatin in zebrafish
3- Mechanisms of action of somatostatin in sturgeon.
Doctors Rute Martins and Adelino Canário.
The place of work is at CCMAR (Gampus Campus of the University of Algarve, Faro, Portugal) and there may be periods of work in China (Shanghai).
Requirements for the application:
1. PhD in Biological Sciences, Biochemistry or related area obtained in the three years prior to the date of submission of this application.
2. Candidates who have carried out research work leading to a doctoral degree at CCMAR as host institution are not eligible.
3. At the time of application, candidates must not have received a post-doctoral fellowship under Decree-Law n. 123/2019, of August 28 (Scholarship Holder Statute), and/or the previous regulation, considering Art. 3, no. 1(d) and no. 2 of the CCMAR Fellowship Regulation. This should be confirmed on the curriculum vitae.
Failure to meet the requirements justifies the rejection of the application.
Assessment Criteria: the assessment criteria and respective weightings are as follows based on the application documents:
1. Curriculum vitae including quality of scientific publications, with explanation of the candidate's role in each publication (70%).
2. Motivation letter (maximum 1000 words), indicating the demonstration of breadth of knowledge and the methodologies indicated above in the Objectives and Work plan, as well as 2 reference letters to be delivered at https://www.dropbox.com /request/txlYtK1F5aoj20FLd6pP (30%).
The jury may invite some candidates for an interview in case it is necessary to clarify any aspect of the curriculum vitae, but the selection criteria remain as listed above.
In the event that no applicant has the necessary profile, the selection committee reserves the right to close the call without any recruitment. In the event that the selected person does not take up the position because of failure to comply with documentary requirements or any other reason, or later during the contract if they resign, the jury reserves the right, upon convenience and opportunity, to assign the post to the next applicant in accordance with the ranking positions based on the selectable reservation list that can be used up to 6 months of the date of the present announcement.
Fellowship conditions: The fellowship will have an initial duration of 12 months, possibly renewed for periods of 12 months or until the end of the research project for a total maximum of 36 months and with an expected start date of March 1, 2023. The fellowship must be carried out under an exclusivity regimen, according to the CCMAR fellowship regulations (see here https://bit.ly/3aXyXQu), and the FCT fellowship regulation based on the Portuguese law 40/2004, of 18 of August (Scientific Research Fellowship holder statutes) amended by the Decree-Law 123/2019 of 28 of August. A maintenance allowance of 1686€ will be paid monthly, through bank transfer, and will be updated as stipulated by the Foundation for Science and Technology (see here https://bit.ly/2ZcxUGJ).
Application period: from 9th of January to 30th January 2023 at 23:59 (Lisbon time, Portugal).
Application process and mandatory documents:
Only complete applications submitted directly and obligatorily on the CCMAR website https://www.ccmar.ualg.pt/list/job are accepted and must include the documents below indicated under penalty of exclusion:
- a letter of motivation (in English).
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae (in English).
- copy of the Doctoral Certificate (if awarded by a Portuguese institution of higher education) or copy of the certificate of recognition of the Doctoral Degree by a Portuguese Public Higher Education Institution or by DGES – Directorate General for Higher Education (if the degree was awarded by a foreign University).
- the complete declaration of honour available from the application platform, for the candidate who cannot yet send a copy of the doctoral certificate (if awarded by a Portuguese institution of Higher Education) or a copy of the certificate of recognition of the doctoral degree (if the degree was awarded by a foreign University), as indicated above.
The submission of an application without the documents/information required above determines the immediate rejection of the application.
Results and Prior Hearing: Notification of admission and ranking results will be communicated by email to candidates within 90 working days after the deadline for submitting applications. After said notification, the candidates have 10 working days to comment/challenge the preliminary decision.
Candidates holding certificates attesting to their degree issued by a foreign university must have their certificate recognized in Portugal by the date indicated in the communication awarding the place. Failure to comply justifies exclusion from the procedure. Information on the recognition of degrees can be obtained at any Portuguese university or here (https://bit.ly/3afyQQU). CCMAR board of directors reserves the right to extend the aforementioned period, at the request of the candidate and if it does not negatively impact the fulfilment of the work program.
Doctor Rute Martins, project coordinator and researcher at CCMAR (president of the jury); Professor Adelino Canário, researcher at CCMAR (member), and Professor João Cardoso, researcher at CCMAR (member).
After the candidate is selected and for the hiring purpose the following documentation/information will be requested:
- If applicable, copy of the doctoral degree (if awarded by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution).
- If applicable, certificate of recognition of the doctoral degree by a Portuguese Public Higher Education Institution or by DGES – Directorate General for Higher Education (if the degree was awarded by a foreign University).
- Declaration of commitment stating the exclusivity regime.
- Civil, fiscal and social security Identification (if applicable)
- Account Number – IBAN
- Ciência ID: https://www.ciencia-id.pt/CienciaID/HomePage.aspx
-Proof of country of residence, residence authorization, or other document legally equivalent, if applicable, in force at the time of fellowship start date.
Fellowship Agreement model
After the candidate selection and all information is received, it will be signed a fellowship agreement in accordance with the model here
Fellowship holder Assessment
The activity developed by the fellowship holder will be evaluated by the supervisor, by applying the following criteria, in accordance with the model below.
- Analysis of report and accomplishment of workplan
Fellowship holder report
By the end of each fellowship period (if applicable) the fellowship holder must present a report. You can find the fellowship holder final report model here
The board of Directors reserves the right, due to a change in circumstances at the date of the present announcement, to cancel the present call without any recruitment.
Disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal ranking, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication / expression means to be used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
CCMAR’s non-discrimination and equal access opportunities policy – No candidate can be privileged, benefited, jeopardised or be deprived of any right or exempt of any claim in regards to descendent, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, economic situation, origin, social economy, genetic heritage, disability, chronic disease, nationality, ethnicity, territory of origin, language, religion, politics, ideology or union membership.
Faro, January 3rd 2023