CCMAR/BINCGAM/23/2023 - Research Fellowship - Biodiversity
Research Fellowship – 1 vacancy
Within the project – MOVE
Project number: DivProtect/0009/2021
Ref. ª: CCMAR/BINCGAM/23/2023
The Centre for Marine Sciences (CCMAR) opens one (01) Research Fellowship for a person with a Master Degree (Research grant not conducive to obtaining an academic degree for a person with a master's degree), for applicants of any nationality, including stateless candidates, and holders of political refugee statute, in the scientific field of Biodiversity within the research project: MOVE – “Movescapes, connectivity hotspots and eco-evolutionary dynamics: protecting the functional role of predatory coastal fisheries.” with reference DivProtect/0009/2021 funded by the Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, (FCT) through national funds (OE) under the following conditions:
Host and Contracting Institution: CCMAR
This fellowship is intended for master’s degree holders that are enrolled in a non-academic degree course, integrated in the educational project of a higher education institution and developed in association or cooperation with one or more R&D units at the starting date of the fellowship.
Work Plan, Tasks to perform and objectives:
The main objective of MOVE is to improve the conservation and sustainability of fisheries of coastal predatory fishes in Europe, to increase the resilience of coastal social-ecological systems. We will combine fish tracking technology across multiple temporal and spatial scales for understanding fish movement dynamics inside and across marine protected areas (MPAs). Specifically, we aim to fill a critical knowledge gap related to the “movescapes” of predatory coastal fishes.
Specifically, the fellowship holder will be involved in the following tasks and objectives:
- Scientific diving activities with SCUBA and free diving.
- Underwater scientific monitoring.
- Skipper of the institution boats.
- Blending gas in the compressor (air, nitrox, trimix).
- Maintenance of scuba equipment.
- Building GIS maps.
Doctor Barbara Horta e Costa Coordinator of the project, researcher at CCMAR and UALG and Professor Diogo Paulo, researcher at CCMAR.
The workplace is CCMAR (Gambelas Campus of the Algarve University, Faro, Portugal) and the Portuguese coast.
Requirements for the application:
Applicants must meet all the conditions stated below:
- Master’s in marine biology or similar area of sciences.
- Scientific Diving certificate.
- GUE Fundamentals certificate.
- Driver’s License.
- Boat driver license.
- Gas blender certificate (Air, Nitrox and Trimix).
- Rescue Diver Certificate.
- Oxygen administration and CPR certificate.
- Free diver certificate.
- This fellowship may only be granted to those who do not exceed, with the conclusion of the present fellowship contract, an accumulated period of two years in this type of fellowship, consecutive or otherwise, to be confirmed through the candidate’s CV.
Non-compliance justifies exclusion from the procedure.
Through the analysis of the application documents the evaluation criteria for the applications and their relative weight for ranking are as follows:
- Demonstraded Experience in scientific dives - 40%
- Demonstrated SCUBA dives experience – 30%
- Demostraded Double tank diver - 10%
- Capable of building GIS maps – 10%
- Experience in SCUBA equipment maintenance and repair (suits, regulators, inflators and valves) -10%
Regarding experience in scientific Diving and SCUBA dive experience, the jury will consider the following grades:
Experience in Scientific Dives
Demonstrated Experience up to 15 dives
Demonstrated Experience between 15 and 25 dives
More than 25 dives
Experience in Scuba Dives
Experience up to 40 dives
Experience between 40 and 70 dives
More than 70 dives
The selection committee reserves the right to contact and interview candidates if additional information or clarification of any curricular aspect is necessary. In case it takes place, the interview aims to evaluate in more detail the curricular items used to grade the candidate according to the list above.
In the event that no applicant has the necessary profile, the selection committee reserves the right to close the call without any recruitment. In the event that the selected person does not take up the position because of failure to comply with documentary requirements or any other reason, or later during the contract if they resign, the jury reserves the right, upon convenience and opportunity, to assign the post to the next applicant in accordance with the ranking positions based on the selectable reservation list that can be used up to 06 months of the date of the present announcement.
Fellowship conditions: The fellowship is expected to start from December 2023 and will have a duration of 06 months, eventually renewed by additional periods or until the end of the research project and with a total maximum of 12 months. The fellowship must be carried out under an exclusivity regimen, according to the FCT Fellowship Regulation (RBI) and of the CCMAR fellowship regulations (see here) based on the Portuguese law 40/2004, of 18 of August (Scientific Research Fellowship holder statutes) amended by the Decree-Law 123/2019 of 28 of August. A maintenance allowance of 1199.64€ will be paid monthly, through bank transfer, and will be updated as stipulated by the Foundation for Science and Technology (see here https://bit.ly/2ZcxUGJ).
Application period: from November the 10th until November the 24th 2023 at 23:59 (Lisbon time, Portugal).
Application process and mandatory documents:
Complete applications must be submitted online at https://www.ccmar.ualg.pt/list/job and must include:
- A motivation letter in English.
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae in English.
- A copy of the Master degree Certificate
- The email contact of up to 3 referees.
- Other documents that the applicant considers important.
Non-compliance with this documents/information determines the immediate rejection of the application.
Results and Preliminary Hearing: The admission and evaluation results will be communicated by email within 90 working days after the application deadline. After notification, candidates have 10 working days to contest the preliminary decision.
Doctor Barbara Horta e Costa Coordinator of the project, researcher at CCMAR and UALG (president); Professor Diogo Paulo, researcher at CCMAR (member), Professor Jorge Gonçalves, researcher at CCMAR (member).
After the candidate is selected and for the hiring purpose the following documentation/information will be requested:
- Proof of the enrolment (Registration/enrolment receipt) from the Academic Services in a non-academic degree course.
- Declaration of commitment stating the exclusivity regime.
- Civil, fiscal, and social security Identification (if applicable).
- Account Number – IBAN
- Ciência ID: https://www.ciencia-id.pt/CienciaID/HomePage.aspx
- If applicable, a statement from the candidate saying that does not exceed, with the conclusion of the present fellowship contract, an accumulated period of two years in this type of fellowship, consecutive or otherwise.
Fellowship Agreement model
After the candidate selection and all information is received, it will be signed a fellowship agreement in accordance with the model here
Fellowship holder Assessment
At the end of each period of duration of the fellowship contract, the activity developed by the grant-holder will be evaluated by the supervisors, by applying the following criteria, in accordance with the model below:
- Conducted practical work (75%)
- Dissemination of results (25%)
Supervisor report model here
Fellowship holder report
By the end of each fellowship period, the fellowship holder must present a report. You can find the fellowship holder final report model here
The board of Directors reserves the right, due to a change in circumstances at the date of the present announcement, to cancel the present call without any recruitment.
Disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal ranking, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication / expression means to be used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
CCMAR’s non-discrimination and equal access opportunities policy – No candidate can be privileged, benefited, jeopardised or be deprived of any right or exempt of any claim in regards to descendent, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, economic situation, origin, social economy, genetic heritage, disability, chronic disease, nationality, ethnicity, territory of origin, language, religion, politics, ideology or union membership.