CCMAR/BIC/09/2021 - 2 vacancies
Research Fellowship – 2 vacancies
Within the project - MAR-01.03.01-FEAMP-0050
Ref. ª: CCMAR/BIC/09/2021
The Centre for Marine Sciences (CCMAR) opens two (02) Scientific Initiation Fellowship (BIC), for applicants of any nationality, including stateless candidates, and holders of political refugee statute, in the scientific field of Biological Sciences within the research project: “Aplicação de Tecnologias Inovadoras e Sustentáveis de Processamento e de Monitorização de Qualidade de Produtos Alimentares do Mar” reference MAR-01.03.01-FEAMP-0050 cofunded by the Operational Programme Mar 2020, Portugal 2020 and the European Union through the European Fund for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries under the following conditions:
Host and Contracting Institution: CCMAR
This fellowship is intended for initiation in R&D activities of students enrolled in an Integrated Master's degree or in a Master's degree in biotechnology, biochemistry and/or biomedical sciences at the start of the BIC, aiming at the initiation or reinforcement of their scientific training.
Work Plan, Tasks to perform and objectives:
The SEAFOODQual project will study the application of innovative and sustainable technologies for processing and quality monitoring of sea food products, aiming to extending shelf-life and improve seafood product quality and safety.
Specifically, the fellowship holder will be expected to:
1. Take an active role in the project and assume responsibility and deliver the results for the tasks assigned to them in the project.
2. Scientific training will be provided and they will be expected to assist other members of the project team, in the execution of the following tasks:
a) Development and validation of novel microbial biomarkers for seafood (fish and shellfish) quality and safety monitoring (Task 2.1, 2.2), use of metagenomic technologies (microbiome analyses) - give technical support in molecular biology techniques including nucleic acid extractions, amplifications (PCR, quantitative PCR) and cloning; basic microbiological analyses; bioinformatic analyses;
b) Development and validation of novel protein biomarkers for seafood (fish and shellfish) quality and safety monitoring (Task 2.1, 2.2), through protein analysis and immunodetection techniques – give technical support in molecular biology techniques applied to proteins; immuno-techniques; biophysical analyses;
c) Commercial on-site monitoring of sea food products and cold chain management controlled by Smart labels, using quality and safety microbial and protein biomarkers (Task 3.1, 3.2) - give technical support in techniques a) and b) applied in this task and assist in visits to companies for sample collection and protocol preparation;
d) Contribute to activities for technology/knowledge transfer and outreach (Task 3.4) - collaborate and participate in outreach, dissemination and training activities within the frame of this project and of CCMAR
3. Assist in the development of activity reports, collaborate in the development of protocols establishing standard operating procedures in the context of the project, and collaborate in data analyses and writing of scientific articles.
4. Provide general technical support for the laboratory hosting the platform of recombinant proteins and biosensors (ProtMar) at CCMAR, where the SEAFOODQual project is based, and be responsible for rigorous sample management.
5. Demonstrate initiative and the capacity to work in a team. Update professional skills, through training, to support research excellence.
Dr. Liliana Anjos Guerreiro (auxiliary researcher) at UALG/CCMar and Professor Dr. Deborah Power (group leader and full professor) at UALG/CCMar
The workplace is CCMAR (Gambelas Campus of the Algarve University, Faro, Portugal).
Requirements for the application:
Applicants must meet all the conditions stated below:
1. Have a bachelor’s degree in Biology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, or Biomedical Sciences;
2. Have a good knowledge of written and spoken English;
3. Have immediate availability (this information should be explicit in the motivation letter).
4. This fellowship can not be awarded to those who have already benefited from a fellowship awarded under the EBI (Estatuto do Bolseiro de Investigação, FCT, Portugal/ Fellowship Holder By-Laws), to be confirmed through the candidate’s CV.
Non-compliance justifies exclusion from the procedure.
It is considered as an advantage:
Availability to work (in working hours/week, within the framework of the EBI) will be valued, giving preference to candidates who have more availability (this information should be explicit in the motivation letter). In the event of a tie between candidates during the selection process, this argument may be used to select the candidates.
The relative weight for ranking of the criteria to be applied for analysis of applications are as follows:
1. Proven experience in molecular biology techniques that support microbiome analyses and validation, mainly in DNA/RNA extraction, quality control and quantification; PCR and quantitative PCR; cloning; microbiological techniques (liquid and solid microbial cultures); bioinformatics analysis of sequences (sequencing, alignments and comparison to databases) and bioinformatics analysis of metagenomics data – 35%
2. Proven experience in molecular biology activities that support protein analysis, mainly techniques for protein extraction, quantification, gel electrophoresis and staining; purification (continuous elution electrophoresis/chromatography); biophysics (CD and fluorescence); immunoassays and histological techniques (dot blot, Western blot, ELISA, histology and immunohistochemistry); bioinformatics analysis (sequence and database searches) – 35%
3. Work experience in a scientific research laboratory (minimum – 6 consecutives months) – 15%
4. Familiarization with fish tissue samples manipulation and management (high numbers/storage conditions/labelling) – 10%
5. Motivation in the field of study related to the work plan – 5%
The fellowships will be awarded to the 2 best ranked applicants.
The selection committee reserves the right to contact and interview candidates if additional information or clarification of any curricular aspect is necessary. If an interview takes place, the interview will be used to evaluate in more detail the curricular items used to rank the candidate as indicated in 1 - 5 above.
In the event that no applicant has the necessary profile, the selection committee reserves the right to close the call without any recruitment. In the event that the selected person does not take up the position because of failure to comply with documentary requirements or any other reason, or later during the contract if they resign, the jury reserves the right, upon convenience and opportunity, to assign the post to the next applicant in accordance with the ranking positions based on the selectable reservation list that can be used up to 6 months of the date of the present announcement.
Fellowship conditions: The fellowship ill have a duration of 10 months, and may be renewed for periods of 1 month up to a maximum of 12 months. The selected applicant will be expected to start from November 2021. The fellowship must be carried out under an exclusivity regimen, according to the FCT Fellowship Regulation (RBI) and of the CCMAR fellowship regulations (see here) based on the Portuguese law 40/2004, of 18 of August (Fellowship Holder By-Laws/Estatuto do Bolseiro de Investigação) amended by the Decree-Law 123/2019 of 28 of August. A maintenance allowance of 446.12€ will be paid monthly, through bank transfer, and will be updated as stipulated by the Foundation for Science and Technology (see here https://bit.ly/2ZcxUGJ).
Application period: from 11th of October to 25th of October 2021.
Application process and mandatory documents:
Complete applications must be submitted online at https://www.ccmar.ualg.pt/list/job and must include:
1. a motivation letter (in English or Portuguese).
2. a detailed Curriculum Vitae (in English).
3. a declaration, available from the application platform, declaring the intention to enrol in a master degree course, if the candidate is selected for the position;
4. a copy of the Bachelor degree Certificate (if awarded by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution) or a copy of the certificate of recognition of the Bachelor degree by a Portuguese Public Higher Education Institution or by DGES – Directorate General for Higher Education (if the degree was awarded by a foreign University).
5. the complete declaration of honour, available from the application platform, if they are unable at the time of application, to provide a copy of the Bachelor degree certificate (if awarded by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution) or a copy of the certificate of recognition of the Bachelor degree (if the degree was awarded by a foreign University), as indicated above.
6. the email contact of up to 2 referees.
Non-compliance with these documents/information determines the immediate rejection of the application.
Results and Preliminary Hearing: The fellowships will be awarded to the 2 best ranked applicants. The admission and evaluation results will be communicated by email within 90 working days after the application deadline. After notification, candidates have 10 working days to contest the preliminary decision.
Candidates holding degrees awarded by a foreign university should have their degree recognized in Portugal no later than the date indicated in the communication of selection for the position. Non-compliance justifies exclusion from the procedure. Information about the recognition procedures can be obtained at any Portuguese public higher education institution or by Directorate General for Higher Education – DGES (here https://bit.ly/3afyQQU).
Dr. Liliana Anjos Guerreiro, auxiliary researcher at UALG/CCMar (president), Professor Dr. Deborah Power group leader and full professor at UALG/CCMar (member), and Dr. Patrícia Pinto, auxiliary researcher at UALG/CCMAR (member).
After the candidate is selected and for the hiring purpose the following documentation/information will be requested:
- proof of the enrolment (Comprovativo de inscrição/matricula) from the Academic Services in a Master Degree (in accordance with the declaration on honour).
- If applicable, a copy of the bachelor’s degree (if awarded by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution).
- If applicable, certificate of recognition of the bachelor’s degree by a Portuguese Public Higher Education Institution or by DGES – Directorate General for Higher Education (if the degree was awarded by a foreign University).
- Declaration of commitment stating the exclusivity regime.
- Civil, fiscal and social security Identification (if applicable).
- Account Number – IBAN.
- Ciência ID: https://www.ciencia-id.pt/CienciaID/HomePage.aspx
Fellowship Agreement model
After the candidate selection and all information is received, it will be signed a fellowship agreement in accordance with the model here
Fellowship holder Assessment
At the end of each period of duration of the fellowship contract, the activity developed by the fellowship holder will be evaluated by the supervisor, by applying the following criteria, in accordance with the model below.
Criteria 1 - Compliance with the activity plan (30%)
Criteria 2 – Technical and scientific performance (30%)
Criteria 3 – Development of scientific activity reports and participation in knowledge transfer activities (20%)
Criteria 4 – Responsibility and assiduity (20%)
Supervisor report model here
Fellowship holder report
By the end of each fellowship period the fellowship holder must present a report. You can find the fellowship holder final report model here
Disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal ranking, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication / expression means to be used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
CCMAR’s non-discrimination and equal access opportunities policy – No candidate can be privileged, benefited, jeopardised or be deprived of any right or exempt of any claim in regards to descendent, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, economic situation, origin, social economy, genetic heritage, disability, chronic disease, nationality, ethnicity, territory of origin, language, religion, politics, ideology or union membership.
Faro, October the 01st 2021