CCMAR/BD/08/2023 - Doctoral Fellowship
Doctoral Fellowship – 1 vacancy
Within the project – Pacto Bioeconomia Azul- Vertical Algas
Project Ref.: C644915664- 00000026
Ref. ª: CCMAR/BD/08/2023
The Centre for Marine Sciences (CCMAR) opens one (01) Doctoral Fellowship (Bolsa de Doutoramento) for applicants of any nationality, including stateless candidates, and holders of political refugee status, in the scientific field of Ecology within the research project ref. C644915664-00000026 - PRR: Pacto Bioeconomia Azul - Vertical Algas (WP 5) funded by PRR Plano de Recuperação e Resiliência under the following conditions:
Host and Contracting Institution: CCMAR
This fellowship is intended for R&D activities carried out by students enrolled in a doctoral programme, at the beginning of the fellowship, with a view to consolidating their scientific training through the development of research work leading to the award of a doctoral degree.
Work Plan, Tasks to perform and objectives:
The PRR: Pacto Bioeconomia Azul – Vertical Algas (WP 5) project aims to enhance macroalgal growth and the biomass quality in industrial cultivation).
Specifically, the fellowship holder will be involved in the following tasks and objectives:
1) Grow macroalgae under lab-scale and pilot-scale conditions;
2) Characterization of macroalgae-associated microbiomes in terms of their taxonomical composition, metagenomes and biochemical profile of the holobiont;
3) Isolation of cultivable microorganisms associated to macroalgae; and
4) Co-cultivation of growth-enhancing, high-value metabolite-inducing microorganisms to improve the productivity of industrial macroalgal strains and the quality of their biomass.
Doctor Aschwin Engelen, researcher at CCMAR.
The workplace is CCMAR (Gambelas Campus of the Algarve University, Faro, Portugal).
Requirements for the application:
Applicants must meet all the conditions stated below:
- A Master of Science degree holder in the field of biology, biotechnology, aquaculture, and related areas.
- Experience in microbial engineering, bioinformatics of meta genomics and genomics.
Non-compliance justifies exclusion from the procedure.
It is considered as preferential:
Experience in characterizing microbiomes associated with macroalgae, including their isolation and co-cultivation with microalgae.
In the event of a tie between candidates during the selection process, this argument may be used to select the candidates.
Through the analysis of the application documents the evaluation criteria for the applications and their relative weight for ranking are as follows:
- Scientific and technological production of the last 5 years considered most relevant by the candidate (30%);
- Experience in growing and characterizing macroalgae (30%);
- Experience in isolating, characterizing and co-cultivating macroalgae-associated microorganisms together with their macroalgal hosts (30%); and
- Activities of knowledge extension and dissemination the last five years, namely in the context of the promotion of knowledge and scientific practices, considered most relevant by the candidate (10%).
The selection committee reserves the right to contact and interview candidates if additional information or clarification of any curricular aspect is necessary. In case it takes place, the interview aims to evaluate in more detail the curricular items used to grade the candidate according to the list above.
In the event that no applicant has the necessary profile, the selection committee reserves the right to close the call without any recruitment. In the event that the selected person does not take up the position because of failure to comply with documentary requirements or any other reason, or later during the contract if they resign, the jury reserves the right, upon convenience and opportunity, to assign the post to the next applicant in accordance with the ranking positions based on the selectable reservation list that can be used up to 6 months of the date of the present announcement.
Fellowship conditions: The fellowship will have a duration of 12 months, expected to start from September 2023 eventually renewed for additional periods up to the end of the research project or the maximum of 4 years. The fellowship must be carried out full-time (exclusive regime), according to the FCT Fellowship Rules (RBI) and the CCMAR fellowship rules (see here), which are based on the Portuguese law 40/2004, of 18 of August (Scientific Research Fellowship holder statutes) amended by the Decree-Law 123/2019 of 28 of August. A maintenance allowance of 1199.64€ will be paid monthly, through bank transfer, and will be updated as stipulated by the Foundation for Science and Technology (see here https://bit.ly/2ZcxUGJ).
Application period: from 25th of May to 26th of June 2023 at 23:59 (Lisbon time, Portugal).
Application process and mandatory documents:
Complete applications must be submitted online at https://www.ccmar.ualg.pt/list/job and must include:
- a motivation letter (in English).
- a detailed Curriculum Vitae (in English).
- a copy of the Master’s degree certificate.
- the email contact of up to 3 referees.
Non-compliance with these documents/information determines the immediate rejection of the application.
Results and Preliminary Hearing: The admission and evaluation results will be communicated by email within 90 working days after the application deadline. After notification, candidates have 10 working days to contest the preliminary decision.
Doctor Aschwin Engelen, researcher at CCMAR (president); Professor Ester Serrão, researcher at CCMAR and Full Professor at Universidade do Algarve (member); Doctor Tânia Aires, researcher at CCMAR and at Universidade do Algarve (member).
After the candidate is selected and for the hiring purpose the following documentation/information will be requested:
- proof of the enrolment (Comprovativo de inscrição/matricula) from the Academic Services in a doctoral degree.
- Declaration of commitment stating the exclusivity regime.
- Civil, fiscal and social security Identification (if applicable)
- Account Number – IBAN
- Ciência ID: https://www.ciencia-id.pt/CienciaID/HomePage.aspx
Fellowship Agreement model
After the candidate selection and all information is received, it will be signed a fellowship agreement in accordance with the model here
Fellowship holder Assessment
At the end of each period of duration of the fellowship contract, the activity developed by the fellowship holder will be evaluated by the supervisor, by applying the following criteria, in accordance with the model below.
Criteria 1 - Compliance with the activity plan (30%)
Criteria 2 – Technical and scientific performance (30%)
Criteria 3 – Development of scientific activity reports and participation in knowledge transfer activities (30%)
Criteria 4 – Responsibility and assiduity (10%)
Supervisor report model here
Fellowship holder report
By the end of each fellowship period the fellowship holder must present a report. You can find the fellowship holder final report model here
The board of Directors reserves the right, due to a change in circumstances at the date of the present announcement, to cancel the present call without any recruitment.
Disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal ranking, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication / expression means to be used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
CCMAR’s non-discrimination and equal access opportunities policy – No candidate can be privileged, benefited, jeopardised or be deprived of any right or exempt of any claim in regards to descendent, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, economic situation, origin, social economy, genetic heritage, disability, chronic disease, nationality, ethnicity, territory of origin, language, religion, politics, ideology or union membership.
Faro, May the 19th 2023