Doctoral Fellowship – 1 vacancy
Within the project – LittleFish
Project Ref.:º 541718158
Ref. ª: CCMAR/BD/06/2023
The Centre for Marine Sciences (CCMAR) opens one (01) Doctoral Fellowship (Bolsa de Doutoramento for applicants of any nationality, including stateless candidates, and holders of political refugee statute, in the scientific field of Biological Sciences within the research project number 541718158 - named as “LittleFish-STP - São Tome and Príncipe little fish threatened - a big opportunity to unravel this fishery resource in tropical islands.” funded by Aga Khan, Network for Development and the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P. under the following conditions:
Host and Contracting Institution: CCMAR
Work Plan, Tasks to perform and objectives:
The LittleFish project will study the ecology and biology of ‘peixinho’ (Sicydium spp.), an endemic and economically exploited fish species in São Tomé e Príncipe.
Specifically, the fellowship holder will be involved in the following activities related with project's tasks 2 (Little fish: Monitoring, conservation and improve local quality of life), 3 (Field Surveys: Oceanography & Biodiversity) and 4 (Fisheries: monitoring and preliminary assessing local stocks):
- Provide support in zooplankton, benthic macrofauna and fish species, and algae sampling, and sample processing.
- Taxonomic identification and processing of zooplankton, benthic macrofauna and fish species, and algae.
- Prepare samples and procedures for biochemical analyses: stable isotopic, ecophysiological condition (RNA:DNA) and genetic analyses.
- Contribute to the general lab maintenance.
- Participate in the data analyses (statistical).
- Participate in the development of reports, scientific papers, dissemination actions.
Doctor Vânia Baptista, coordinator of the project and researcher at CCMAR.
The workplace is CCMAR (Gambelas Campus of the Algarve University, Faro, Portugal) and other places necessary for the execution of the work plan. Some field work in São Tomé e Príncipe is expected.
Requirements for the application:
Applicants must meet all the conditions stated below:
- Master’s Degree in Biology, Ecology, Marine Biology and/or Ecology, Fisheries, Marine Sciences or related biological sciences field.
- Research capability demonstrated through publications, technical reports and presentations at conferences.
- Availability to work outside the normal working hours, on weekends, holidays in accordance with the project needs, namely in field biological surveys – handling, conservation and identification of marine fauna within the specific project objectives.
- Ability to work in team, stimulating a good working environment and ability to develop project tasks as requested by the researcher responsible for the project (supervisor).
- Strong skills in Portuguese and English languages (both spoken and written).
- Strong communication skills.
- Availability to travel to São Tomé e Príncipe (demonstrated in writing in the motivation letter).
- Driver license.
- Diving and Freediving licenses.
Non-compliance justifies exclusion from the procedure.
It is considered as an advantage:
It is desirable that the applicants have experience in (as demonstrated in their Curriculum Vitae):
- Zooplankton, benthic macrofauna, fish, and algae species sampling, and sample processing.
- Taxonomic identification and processing of zooplankton, benthic macrofauna, fish, and algae species.
In the event of a tie between candidates during the selection process, this argument may be used to select the candidates.
Through the analysis of the application documents the evaluation criteria for the applications and their relative weight for ranking are as follows:
- CV, including scientific production record (35%)
- Sampling, samples processing and taxonomic identification of zooplankton, benthic macrofauna, fish, and algae species (35%)
- Experience in biochemical analyses (10%)
- Fluency in Portuguese and English, with good communication skills (oral and written) (10%)
- Statistics knowledge (10%)
The selection committee reserves the right to contact and interview candidates if additional information or clarification of any curricular aspect is necessary. In case it takes place, the interview aims to evaluate in more detail the curricular items used to grade the candidate according to the list above.
In the event that no applicant has the necessary profile, the selection committee reserves the right to close the call without any recruitment. In the event that the selected person does not take up the position because of failure to comply with documentary requirements or any other reason, or later during the contract if they resign, the jury reserves the right, upon convenience and opportunity, to assign the post to the next applicant in accordance with the ranking positions based on the selectable reservation list that can be used up to 12 months of the date of the present announcement.
Fellowship conditions: The fellowship will have a duration of 12 months, expected to start from May 2023 eventually renewed for additional periods up to the end of the research project or the maximum of 4 years. The fellowship must be carried out full-time (exclusive regime), according to the FCT Fellowship Rules (RBI) and the CCMAR fellowship rules (see here), which are based on the Portuguese law 40/2004, of 18 of August (Scientific Research Fellowship holder statutes) amended by the Decree-Law 123/2019 of 28 of August. A maintenance allowance of 1199.64€ will be paid monthly, through bank transfer, and will be updated as stipulated by the Foundation for Science and Technology (see here https://bit.ly/2ZcxUGJ).
Application period: from 4th of April to 19th of April 2023 at 23:59 (Lisbon time, Portugal).
Application process and mandatory documents:
Complete applications must be submitted online at https://www.ccmar.ualg.pt/list/job and must include:
- A motivation letter (in English or Portuguese);
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae (in English or Portuguese);
- A copy of the Master’s degree certificate;
- The email contact of up to 3 referees.
Non-compliance with these documents/information determines the immediate rejection of the application.
Results and Preliminary Hearing: The admission and evaluation results will be communicated by email within 90 working days after the application deadline. After notification, candidates have 10 working days to contest the preliminary decision.
Dr. Vânia Baptista, coordinator of the project and researcher at CCMAR (president of the jury), Professor Maria Alexandra Anica Teodósio, Vice- Rector at Algarve University, team leader and researcher at CCMAR (member), Dr. Joana Cruz, Researcher at CCMAR (member) and Dr. Pedro Morais, Researcher at CCMAR and S2AQUA - Collaborative Laboratory for a Sustainable and Smart Aquaculture (member).
After the candidate is selected and for the hiring purpose the following documentation/information will be requested:
- Proof of the enrolment (Comprovativo de inscrição/matricula) from the Academic Services in a doctoral degree.
- Declaration of commitment stating the exclusivity regime.
- Civil, fiscal and social security Identification (if applicable)
- Account Number – IBAN
- Ciência ID: https://www.ciencia-id.pt/CienciaID/HomePage.aspx
Fellowship Agreement model
After the candidate selection and all information is received, it will be signed a fellowship agreement in accordance with the model here
Fellowship holder Assessment
At the end of each period of duration of the fellowship contract, the activity developed by the fellowship holder will be evaluated by the supervisor, by applying the following criteria, in accordance with the model below:
Criteria 1 – Compliance with the activity plan (40%)
Criteria 2 – Technical and scientific performance (40%)
Criteria 3 – Commitment, responsibility and assiduity (20%)
Supervisor report model here
Fellowship holder report
By the end of each fellowship period the fellowship holder must present a report. You can find the fellowship holder final report model here
The board of Directors reserves the right, due to a change in circumstances at the date of the present announcement, to cancel the present call without any recruitment.
Disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal ranking, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication / expression means to be used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
CCMAR’s non-discrimination and equal access opportunities policy – No candidate can be privileged, benefited, jeopardised or be deprived of any right or exempt of any claim in regards to descendent, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, economic situation, origin, social economy, genetic heritage, disability, chronic disease, nationality, ethnicity, territory of origin, language, religion, politics, ideology or union membership.
Faro, March the 27th 2023