CALL FOR A POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER (M/F) HIRING UNDER ARTCLE 19 FROM DECREE-LAW NR 57/2016, OF 29th AUGUST, ALTERED BY LAW NR 57/2017, OF 19th JULY - 1 VACANCY | Reference: CCMAR/ID/05/2018
The Algarve Centre for Marine Sciences (CCMAR) opens a call for a PostDoctoral Researcher (M/F), correspondent to the initial level, under an uncertain term employment contract, under Sistema de Apoio à Investigação Científica e Tecnológica (SAICT) – Call nr 02/SAICT/2017 - Projeto de Investigação Científica e Desenvolvimento Tecnológico (IC&DT), funded by Investment and Structural European Funds (FEEI) - Programa Operacional Regional do Algarve and National Funds (FCT-MEC) under the research project “ODORACID: Efeitos da acidificação dos oceanos no sistema neuronal do Linguado, Solea senegalensis”, ref. ALG-01-0145-FEDER-030262”. The project aims to investigate the effects of ocean acidification on the olfactory system of sole (Solea senegalensis). This will include electrophysiological assessment of olfactory sensitivity, immunocytochemical investigation of structural/cytological changes, and transcriptomic assessment of changes in gene transcription in areas of the olfactory system and associated CNS.
Reporting to the project PI the candidate (PostDoctoral Researcher) will be responsible for:
- Scientific Research in the field of Molecular biology and immunohistochemistry.
- Routine laboratory tasks.
- Preparation of progress reports, writing scientific articles and presenting results at scientific conferences.
- Participation in the scientific outreach activities.
- Daily project management.
- Supervision of undergraduate and M.Sc. students.
- Decree-Law nr 57/2016, from 29th August, altered by Law nr 57/2017, from 19th July, that approves a Doctoral Hiring regime to stimulate Scientific and Technological Employment in all knowledge areas (RJEC).
- Portuguese Labor Law, approved by Law nr 7/2009, from 12th February in its current form.
- Regulatory Decree Nr 11-A / 2017, of 29th December.
Starting Date: The contract is expected to start between September and October 2018 and will remain only for the necessary execution period of the working plan, with an estimated duration of thirty (30) months.
Workplace: the activities will be developed at CCMAR installations (Gambelas Campus of the Algarve University, Portugal) and/or other necessary locations to their execution.
Working Schedule: 35 hours per week.
Monthly Remuneration: Gross monthly Remuneration is 2.128,34€, in accordance with subsection a), section 1, article 15 from Law nr 57/2017, 19th July, and with the remuneration position at initial level predicted in article 2 of Regulatory Decree nr 11-A/2017, of 29th December, correspondent to level 33 at Tabela Remuneratória Única, approved by Order nr 1553-C/2008, 31st December.
Application Period: between 6th of July and 8th of August 2018.
Madatory Required Profile: Any National, foreign and stateless candidate(s) that hold the following requirements can apply:
- A Doctoral Degree.
- Experience in molecular biology (transcriptomics).
- Experience in immunohistochemistry.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
- Availability to start in September or October 2018.
Non-compliance with any of these requirements invalidates the application. Provision of false documentation will be punished by law.
Preferance Profile: The jury will give preference to the candidate(s) that hold:
- Driving licence (category B, valid in Portugal) with own vehicle.
- Experience of working with live fish.
- Familiarity with bioinformatics, especially analysis of differential gene expression.
- Be a holder of the mandatory certified authorisation by Direção Geral de Alimentação e Veterinária to perform procedures on animals (article 21º and article 31º through Portuguese Decree-Law no. 113/2013 of August 7).
- Good knowledge of Portuguese.
Members of the Jury: in accordance with article 13º of RJEC the jury is composed of Dr. Zélia Velez, researcher at CCMAR and Project Leader (President of the Jury), Dr. Peter Hubbard, researcher at CCMAR (member) and Professor Deborah Power, Full Professor at Algarve University and Researcher at CCMAR (member).
Evaluation criteria: The admitted applications will be evaluated taking into account the merit, timeliness, quality and relevance of the scientific background (scientific production and research experience) and curriculum and their adequacy to the proposed work plan.
Applications will be scored on a scale of 0 to 100 as follows:
- The Documents provided:
- Evaluation of Motivation Letter and selected publications, (as specified below). The scientific production will be more relevant than the metrics of the publication - 30%.
- Evaluation of the CV, research experience and relevant knowledge of the area and techniques indicated in the candidate profile (points 2 and 3 of the mandatory profile and points 2, 3 and 4 of the preferential profile) - (60%).
- Interview (applicants that score above 80% on the documental analysis) - 10%.
After evaluation of all admitted applications, the jury will write the meeting minutes with the description of the evaluation and selection process including an ordered list of approved candidates and their respective classification and final decision of the jury. The CCMAR Board of Directors shall validate the final decision of the jury.
The selection committee will exercise the right to contact and interview candidates should it require further information or clarification about their application. In the event that no applicant has the necessary profile, or the funding conditions have significantly changed since the announcement of this position, the selection committee reserves the right to close the call without any recruitment. In the event that the selected person does not accept the position or resigns during the contract, the jury reserves the right, upon convenience and opportunity, to assign the post to the next applicant in accordance with the ranking positions.
Application submission process and documents: Applications should be submitted via the CCMAR website (only applications submitted through the CCMAR website will be considered). You should consider your application as correctly submitted only after receiving a confirmation e-mail from CCMAR. Applications (in Portuguese or English) should include a Motivation Letter (with a personal assessment of the relevance of the activities of the last three years for the present competition, highlighting the chosen scientific publications), copy of your PhD Diploma, Detailed CV (in accordance with the requirements of the application), a pdf. digital copy of up to 3 top publications more relevant, other documents deemed as relevant for the application with the email contact of up to 3 references.
Results: Both admitted and excluded candidates list and final classification list shall be posted at CCMAR (Universidade do Algarve, edf. 7), at CCMAR website at and all candidates will be notified by email.
Preliminary Hearing and Final Decision Deadline: All candidates will be notified of the results by email. After notification, all candidates have 10 working days to respond. The final decisions will be announced within 90 days of the deadline.
Pursuant to Decree-Law nr 29/2001 of 3rd February, disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal classification, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication / expression means to be used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
CCMAR’s non-discrimination and equal access opportunities policy – No candidate can be privileged, benefited, jeopardised or be deprived of any right or exempt of any claim in regards to descendent, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, economic situation, origin, social economy, genetic heritage, disability, chronic disease, nationality, ethnicity, territory of origin, language, religion, politics, ideology or union membership.
Faro, 29 th June 2018