CALL FOR A DOCTORAL RESEARCHER (M/F) HIRING UNDER ARTCLE 19 FROM DECREE-LAW NR 57/2016, OF 29th AUGUST, ALTERED BY LAW NR 57/2017, OF 19th JULY - 1 VACANCY
The Algarve Centre for Marine Sciences (CCMAR) opens a call for a Doctoral Researcher (M/F), correspondent to the initial level, under an uncertain term employment contract, under Sistema de Apoio à Investigação Científica e Tecnológica (SAICT) – Call nr 02/SAICT/2017 - Projeto de Investigação Científica e Desenvolvimento Tecnológico (IC&DT), funded by Investment and Structural European Funds (FEEI) - Programa Operacional Regional do Algarve and National Funds (FCT-MEC) under the research project “CLIMFISH: Análise da vulnerabilidade da pesca costeira às mudanças climáticas na costa Portuguesa, ref. ALG-01-0145-FEDER-028518”.
Reporting to the project PI and seniors of the multidisciplinary team, the candidate (Doctoral Researcher) will be responsible for/to:
• Carry out research, publication and support debate around climate change impact in key commercial fish species and fisheries, assess socio-economic impacts and promote adaptation strategies.
• Organize and promote workshops among scientists, fishing producer’s organizations, fishing industry, fishing professionals, managers and fisheries police makers and in-person meetings with multiple stakeholder groups that could be used for fisheries management and conservation under climate change threats.
• Work and help to coordinate the multi-disciplinary team (climate scientists, ecologists, socio-economists, oceanographers) within a good working environment.
• Evaluate the effect of climate change impacts on key fish species (evaluate sensitivity, exposure and adaptability based on species biological and ecological traits) and evaluate climate change effects on fisheries socio-economic related activities (sensitivity, exposure and adaptability of the fishing sector).
• Help investigate and test new approaches, tools and methods to characterize and predict fisheries climate vulnerability and enable climate adaptation at regional scale.
• Participate in developing reports and scientific papers on issues related to climate change vulnerability, impacts and adaptation (using good communication skills and an ability to simplify language for different fisheries stakeholders).
• Help to lead an independent research and to apply to funding.
• Train researchers at the graduate, master and doctoral level.
• Decree-Law nr 57/2016, from 29th August, altered by Law nr 57/2017, from 19th July, that approves a Doctoral Hiring regime to stimulate Scientific and Technological Employment in all knowledge areas (RJEC).
• Portuguese Labor Law, approved by Law nr 7/2009, from 12th February in its current writing.
• Regulatory Decree Nr 11-A / 2017, of 29th December.
Starting Date: The contract is expected to start as soon as possible and preferably no later than september 2018 and will remain only for the necessary execution period of the working plan.
Workplace: the activities will be developed at CCMAR installations (Gambelas Campus of the Algarve University, Portugal) and/or other necessary locations to their execution.
Working Schedule: 35 hours per week.
Monthly Remuneration: Gross monthly Remuneration is 2.128,34€, in accordance with subsection a), section 1, article 15 from Law nr 57/2017, 19th July, and with the remuneration position at initial level predicted in article 2 of Regulatory Decree nr 11-A/2017, of 29th December, correspondent to level 33 at Tabela Remuneratória Única, approved by Order nr 1553-C/2008, 31st December.
Application Period: between 28 of May and 26 of June 2018.
Madatory Required Profile: Any National, foreign and stateless candidate(s) that hold the following requirements can apply:
1. PhD in Natural Sciences, Earth Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Biological Sciences or related area.
2. A minimum of 3 years of research experience as post-doc in the climate change field or related area.
3. Specific knowledge in marine environment ecosystems.
4. Strong teamwork and communication skills.
5. Be a holder of a B category-driving license (with permission to drive in Portugal).
6. Fluent in English language.
The non-compliance with these requirements determines the immediate rejection of application. False statements provided by the candidates shall be punished by law.
Members of the Jury: the jury is composed by Dr. Francisco Miguel de Sousa Leitão, researcher at CCMAR and Responsible for the Project (President of the Jury), Professor Dr. Maria Alexandra Anica Teodósio, researcher at CCMAR, associate Professor with aggregation and Vice Rector at Algarve University (member) and Professor Dr. Paulo José Relvas de Almeida, researcher at CCMAR and Auxiliary Professor at Algarve University (member).
Evaluation criteria: The admitted applications will be evaluated taking into account the merit, timeliness, quality and relevance of the scientific path (scientific production and research experience) and curriculum and their adequacy to the proposed work plan.
Applications will be scored on a 0 to 100 scale. Based on a documental analysis, the assessment will be as follows:
1. Scientific and technological production of the last 5 years considered as the most relevant for the research project - 25%.
2. Domain of recent climate change relatated literature, including familiarity with the vulnerability to change framework for assessing climate change impacts (Sensitivity, Exposure and Adaptability) demonstrated by overall curricular path (40%).
3. Integrated Knowledge of fisheries, ecology-biology of marine resources, environmental data acquisition and manipulation, oceanography, time series statistical analyses and environmental modelling (35%).
After evaluation of all admitted applications, the jury will write a meeting minute with the description of the evaluation and selection process including an ordered short list of approved candidates and their respective classification and final decision of the jury. The CCMAR Board of Directors shall validate the final decision of the jury.
The selection committee will exercise the right to contact and interview candidates should it require further information or clarification about their application. In the event that no applicant has the necessary profile, or the funding conditions have significantly changed since the announcement of this position, the selection committee reserves the right to close the call without any recruitment. In the event that the contract holder should resign during the contract, the jury reserves the right, upon convenience and opportunity, to assign the post to the next applicant in accordance with the ranking positions.
Application submission process and documents: Applications should be submitted directly to the CCMAR website (only applications submitted directly at the CCMAR website will be considered). You should consider your application as correctly submitted only after receiving an email confirmation from CCMAR. Application should include a Motivation Letter (with a personal assessment on the adequacy of the activities of the last five years for the present competition), copy of your PhD Diploma, Detailed CV, other documents deemed as relevant for the application and it might also include the email contact of up to 3 references.
Results: Both admitted and excluded candidates list and final classification list shall be posted at CCMAR (Universidade do Algarve, edf. 7), at CCMAR website at and all candidates will be notified by email.
Preliminary Hearing and Final Decision Deadline: All candidates will be notified by email of the results. After notified, all candidates have 10 working days to respond. The commission final decisions are pronounced within a maximum period of 90 days, from application deadline.
Pursuant to Decree-Law nr 29/2001 of 3rd February, disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal classification, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication / expression means to be used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
CCMAR’s non-discrimination and equal access opportunities policy – No candidate can be privileged, benefited, jeopardised or be deprived of any right or exempt of any claim in regards to descendent, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, economic situation, origin, social economy, genetic heritage, disability, chronic disease, nationality, ethnicity, territory of origin, language, religion, politics, ideology or union membership.
Faro, 18 th May 2018